Saturday, March 15, 2008

True Confessions: I Swing Both Ways

That is to say, I have cast my vote for both Democrats and Republicans.

There, I've said it. I'm out of the closet: I'm a progressive, rational, thinking voter.

No, I will not conform to even an LGBT orthodoxy. Neither will I stand idly by and be vilified for failing so to do.

Once upon a time, on a discussion board that has long since gone off the rails, I posted An Argument for Dem/GOP Bridge-Building.

When I got "tombstoned" from that board, (in large part, for failing to adhere to the prevailing clique's views on Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton and LGBT rights), I was vilifed, thumbscrewed, tarred, and feathered for having admitted, candidly and truthfully, that I'm not a registered Democrat.

As Irony would have it, those yammering loudest post as anonymous cowards, without revealing their voting history or their thought process on this year's race.

Whereas, I patiently and candidly explained the rationale for my prior votes in Presidential races ...

I voted for:

1992: Bush 41 (I thought Baker had a decent shot at a comprehensive Middle East deal; I plead youthful indiscretion)

1996: Clinton
2000: McCain (primaries); Gore (general)
2004: Kerry


... many of those anonymous, groupthinking potshotters used my own truthful and candid disclosure as fabricated fodder to denounce me for my - gasp! - heresy.

Freethink is hard; groupthink is easy.

In American Politics of the 21st Century, there are Dittoheads on the right, with Rush as their ringleader.

And then there are DU Dodos (TM) on the left, with The Three DUges* P.T. Barnumming that particular three-ring circus.

However, just as some former Dittoheads have had their eyes opened to what Rush is really all about, so too are many former DU Dodos awakening to what The Three DUges* are really all about.

So, yes, Gentle Reader: I sometimes swing both ways. But just as I honestly and candidly revealed my past votes, let me honestly and candidly reveal my thought process this political cycle, in brief:

The GOP Race

* John "I'm Proud to Be A Merkin for Bush" McCain (TM) lost his maverick stripes long ago, in my book (and my Oppo Research book, on McCain, goes back more than a decade).

* Twit Romney didn't have a prayer, but he was fun to watch, and fun to mock.

* Aw Shucks Huckabee worries me, especially if he's the Veep pick (he worries me enough that I started Oppo Research on him months ago).

* Ron Paul inspired a whole new generation of conspiracy theorists to purchase tin foil in bulk. Seriously, his campaign single-handedly moved the aluminum and bauxite commodities markets!

* Frederick "FauxRhetoric" Thompson (TM)? *eyeroll* Puh-leeze. The GOP tried this once: Bob Dole says just ask Bob Dole.

* Tootie Fruity Rudy? Oh, Judy! What a comedown from Saturday Night Live (but I say, bring him back on SNL, again and again and again).

* Duncan "Resolution Trust Corporation Indictment Imminent" Hunter? That's going to be a post-candidacy story to watch. Mark my words on this one, Gentle Reader.

The Democratic Race

* Barack Obama: It's hard to find fault with how he's run this campaign, without nitpicking. I found his videotaped answers at the LOGO / Human Rights Campaign / VisibleVote event to be far superior to Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton's, but not as persuasive as Edwards'. The pastor things are sort of stupid, in my view. I am squarely in his camp now, and - barring some catastrophic revelation - I will remain there through the General Election.

* Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton: My vote and my support was hers to lose. She lost both, with an assist from Bombastic Bill and Pitiful Penn. At the aforementioned VisibleVote event, she gave jaw-droppingly dumbass answers for someone who claims to have been actively involved during the Civil Rights Era. My disagreements with her on public policy issues are too legion to mention in this particular blog entry. But suffice it to say: not only did she lose me as a supporter, she gained me as a member of her active opposition. And her "real live boi" Pennocchio and I WILL tangle, and - if he lasts beyond Pennsylvania - I'll be mightily surprised.

* John Edwards: When I departed Clinton's Camp in the late fall, I simultaneously jumped ship to Edwards. I still think he was the best blend of experience and change. If Obama offers Edwards a strong Veepship (e.g., giving him a role similar to Gore's on REGO, only focused on cross-Cabinet corporate crime work, such as environmental crimes, financial crimes, public health crimes, employment discrimination crimes, etc.), then I think Edwards should jump at the opportunity. The Veep - as a Constitutional Officer - has greater job security than the AG (the other role I've heard mentioned for Edwards). So, I'm holding out hope that Obama convinces Edwards to take the Veep spot.

* Joe Biden: When he's funny, he's funny. His sharp, sarcastic wit never fails to amuse. But it's a Presidential race, not Last Comic Standing.

* Chris Dodd: No delegates, but finally! The eyebrow trim, ear hair trim, and new 'do his Hill staffers have been clamoring and yammering for these many years! Someone went all Queer Eye for the Bushy-Browed Guy on him, and he's positively glowing now!

* Mike Gravel: Who?

* Dennis Kucinich: After dropping out, he managed to survive his primary fight, and - if he retains his House seat in the fall - is going to be a shoe-in to lead the newly-formed Kongressional Keebler Kaucus (TM) (having consistently lead among that demographic in primary season exit polls).

* Bill Richardson: Honestly? At first, this guy reminded me of an even more boring version of Horatio Sanz (who I think is, perhaps, the most boring cast member of Saturday Night Live - ever). I mean: Richardson just looked pathetic in the debates. But since he dropped out, he's gained a few coolness points, and has now surpassed Sanz; that's not really saying much, but it's progress.

My bottom line?

As I said earlier in this entry ... I'm out of the closet: I'm a progressive, rational, thinking voter.

That means:

1. You can lose my support. (sHrillary and McCain)
2. You can earn my support. (Edwards and Obama)
3. You can gain my notice. (Biden, Huckabee, Kucinich, Richardson)
4. You can gain my laughter. (Rudy, Twit, Dodd, Paul, Gravel, Kucinich)

Oh, and one more thing: I'm not a single issues voter, but I understand the importance of the third branch of our Federal Government. That's largely why I voted for Gore in 2000. My partner of nearly 14 years and I would like to see greater - if not full - equality in our lifetimes. That means wise judges who respect America's traditions, but who also have an eye on helping her to remain true to progressive principles. Good judges are among the most important change agents in our Democracy. They stand at the intersection of preserving the best of our past, and catalyzing change that improves upon that past, in order to help deliver a better present and future.

So neither the weathervane that is Billary (who've proven their fecklessness time and again), nor McCain (who's carried much too much water for Bush) can count on this voter's support.

I may swing both ways: but I have taste, and I have standards.

- Dave

* Depending on the region and usage: pronounced like "douches" or "dooges," FYI.

2 comments:

D. Hippauf said...

*thumbs up - kool-aid comes in many different flavors.. best to at least try a little of each before chugging down the whole pitcher.

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

I've voted Repub and Dem off and on through the years too.

Those dorks on DU fail to understand that Dems have got to reach out and welcome others if they want this thing back.

Peace.

Keep blogging!

http://nevadamojo.blogspot.com/